Beckman Coulter User Forums

crystalography plates?

ned

Does anyone have any experience using a crystalography plate on a Biomek FX with a 96-well head? A scientist here asked if we have a robot capable of filling these plates: http://hamptonresearch.com/product_detail.aspx?sid=182&pid=82

They're a 96-well format, but within each well area there is 1 reservoir and 2-3 smaller wells (smaller than the wells of a 384-well plate) which hold at most 1-2ul. They would be filled with a combination of solvent (stamped from a source plate using the 96-tip head) and protein (from a tube, using one or more Span-8) tips. Has anyone done this? I don't know what level of accuracy we need, but it doesn't need to be too accurate.

• 3 months later...

Some of these plates seem to be easy to treat as 384 well plates when pipetting at fixed heights and ignoring liquid volumes / filling levels in the wells.

I could imagine to run the individual transfers with specific Techniques/Templates to avoid touching the bottom.

Some others have a more irregular format, so I would suggest to define different pieces of labware (96 well format) and swapping them with Instrument Setup steps as needed.

But I could also imagine to have only one labware definition and use different Pipetting Templates where you move to the desired XYZ-position.

For both cases make sure, the Auto-Select option for the Techniques is switched off so that the user must pick the correct Technique/Template manually!

Ulrich

I'm sorry for the delay, I just found this post (and some others) in another folder of the forum. It wasn't activated yet and I never received any notification about it.

So I moved it here as this seems to be the proper location.

We decided to use similar plates that look more like a 384-well plate. They still have 1 large reservoir and three smaller ones, but in a square. We can fill the large reservoirs using the Biomek's 96-channel head (treating it as a 96-well plate) and then fill the small wells using another instrument (a LabCyte Echo that's ideal for hit-picking very small volumes).

Archived