Beckman Coulter User Forums
adamrosebrock

Enable "common" searches and clarify why "no results found"

There appear to be a bunch of forbidden search words. This is a shame, as it makes searching the rich history of the board extremely difficult.

Searching for "extend" gives "no results found". Nonsense.

Ditto for "span8".

It would appear that there is a "common words" list that gets ungracefully dumped back as no results found. I sure try to tell my Biomek users more about an error. Perhaps the IPboard software can be configured to do the same.

I can't imagine that the CPU overhead to index and search for common words is much of an issue anymore, especially on a board this small.

Please make searching more usable!

There appear to be a bunch of forbidden search words. This is a shame, as it makes searching the rich history of the board extremely difficult.

Searching for "extend" gives "no results found". Nonsense.

Ditto for "span8".

It would appear that there is a "common words" list that gets ungracefully dumped back as no results found. I sure try to tell my Biomek users more about an error. Perhaps the IPboard software can be configured to do the same.

I can't imagine that the CPU overhead to index and search for common words is much of an issue anymore, especially on a board this small.

Please make searching more usable!

Adam,

Thank you for your comment on the Search feature of the forums. A never-ending balancing act.

The current Search structure allows such esoteric searches as searching for file name formats (for example, TDF) and other items. The default--keyword search--will drop or ignore "invalid words".

Regarding the search for "extend", if I go to the Forums home page and enter "extend", I see 48 results (including this thread).

Regarding searching for "span8" there should be no results. However, I have adjusted the search settings allowing a one-letter word to be allowed in seach; as in "span 8" (without quotes). This search string now yields approximately 109 results. The properly branded product name "span-8" yields 133 results before and after my adjustment.

Thank you again for using the Beckman Coulter Forums.

Forum Admin