Beckman Coulter User Forums

Will Kaluza G acquisition files work on Kaluza 1.1?

Hello

I was wondering if the files from the new acquisition program (Kaluza G) for Gallios will work on Kaluza analysis v1.1?

The reason is that our entire lab does not want to upgrade to neither v1.2 or v1.3.

In those new versions, the composite function is just a waste of time for us. We want to be able to analyze a panel of staining equally for alla datasets in a composite. It works perfectly in v1.1, meaning that one gate is not unique for one dataset, it works for all the datasets in that composite. Which I believe most experimental researchers uses the composite for.

For some unknown reason, you at BC changed that the gates are now unique for every dataset in a composite, which means that we need to copy!! and rename!! all the gates for every dataset. And if we want to reanalys some data, we need to repeat the whole procedure again...

Many subgroups are now going over to flowjo, which is a pitty, Kaluza 1.1 is a very nice software except the changes you have down to a very important functions such as the composite.

Best

R

The FCS files themselves will likely load, although the embedded protocol will not. I can do some more investigation to be sure.

Some advice on working with composites in v1.2 and v1.3 to make their behavior more like v1.1: Build your protocol BEFORE you build the composite. Then apply it (using copy and paste special | protocol) to the other files you want to put into your composite. Once that's done, actually create the composite. By doing this you will have all the same gates built for each dataset in the composite. Then you can right-click on a gate, choose Link to Gates from the Data leaf, and tie it to the other gates in the composite. An important point is that you do not need to click on every single sub-gate in the link menu, if you just click the gate name itself in the menu it will link to everything in the sub-menu.

If your protocols is already formed and you want to add a gate, there's a trick to make it go faster. Draw your gate on data set 1. Copy the plot containing it to the clipboard. Now change it so it's on your last data set. Paste from the clipboard, it will come in as data set 1. (Normally this would cause your gate to get renamed, but because you resolved that conflict by moving your other plot to the last data set this won't happen.) Change that gate to the next to the last data set. Paste. Change data set. Paste. Change data set. Repeat until the gate exists for all data sets and then link the gates. This is slightly tedious, but it is pretty quick once you start doing it and less error prone than renaming gates.

I appreciate your point about the changes to composites in v1.2 and for homogeneously-stained samples you're completely correct. However, many of our users were also using it for heterogeneously-stained samples, and the features were not appropriate in those cases.

Version 1.2 introduced some nice features, including especially the comparison plot which allows you to do some powerful visualization with composite protocols. Unless you're creating unique composite protocols all the time, you may find that the extra work associated with composites in v1.2 and v1.3 is worth the effort.

The problem is that this takes a lot of time for me and also all the user we have in our department who uses kaluza. For instance, we are atm not purchasing anymore licenses due to this problem, as it didn't get solved in version 1.3. Easiest way to solve it is to have two composite functions. Homogeneous- and heterogeneous composites. I understand that some researches do heterogeneous panels, but it quite radical to just remove the easy function for homogeneous analysis, as the major flow softwares have it as a super easy function, for instance FlowJo. Why I'm asking about Kaluza G is that our machines will all get the new version, if we can't use it in v1.1 I need to either cancel the upgrade or go over to FlowJo. I really hope that BC will fix this issue asap. It shouldn't be so hard.

Best

R

Archived