Beckman Coulter User Forums

Solution for out of memory crashes under Windows XP

If you are experiencing somewhat random crashes (sometimes accompanied by an out of memory error) and are running Windows XP, you may need to update a Windows component.

Make sure you have the latest Windows Updates. The .NET 4 update is especially important for this issue; it is not labeled as a "critical" update, so you have to choose to install it.

• 1 year later...

Hi, Ernie,

Is this just a Windows problem, or is it related to the robot software? Biomek Software 3.3.14 requires Microsoft .NET 1.1 for installation, but, once installed, can the Biomek Software use a higher version of .NET (such as .NET 4)? In this case, could .NET 1.1 be removed after installation of the Biomek Software?

Thanks!

This post is related to the Kaluza Flow Cytometry Analysis Software. It uses .NET extensively and there is a bug in older versions of that software that sometimes lead to memory not being freed when it should. This was causing problems for Kaluza under some circumstances.

I am not familiar with the current needs of the Biomek software. However, I can say that generally newer versions of .NET include support for older versions. Despite this, I would not recommend uninstalling older versions. The .NET system is easy to corrupt (and difficult to fix) if you try to get clever with installations. It is usually best to just let it be unless there is a problem that needs to be solved.

Archived