Beckman Coulter User Forums

Overlay of 2 parameter histograms

I have had a number of requests for the ability to overlay 2 parameter histograms/ Dot Plots, similar to the current ability to overlay single parameter histograms. This would be a valuable tool for clinical data analysis in MRD where the user can display and overlay LMD files from pre and post treatment. There is the ability to do this in a limited fashion with the "merged" data file but this is not a true overlay display of multiple listmode files given the "merged" file creates a single LMD file.

Hi Maree,

Thanks for the feedback. This is a great idea, definitely one for the to-do list. Also glad to know that you're aware of the best current work-around with the merged files.

Ernie

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I was wondering this myself, and found a way to do it. You mentioned the "merge" function, which is necessary. Simply click on two files, then choose the "merge" function. Granted, all of the data from both files are combined, and remain unseparated. But, when viewing the merged file, use the ribbon in the icon bar named "plots and table", then choose the word (not the icon) "histogram", which will give you two options (histogram and merged data histogram). Choose "merged data histogram". It will create a histogram for you, which has each file in the merge separated, and a region already created in the histogram for you. It was like Kaluza knew what I wanted...

Go to your dual parameter (bivariate) histograms and set the gate on them to be defined by one of your "merged data histogram" gates already created. Go the "color precendence" (which may be minimized), and move both of your "file gates" (merged histogram gates) created in the merged histogram to the colored area (they are located in your uncolored common), and give them the highest precedence.

Now, you can move your "merged data histogram gate" to include one of the other files, and you will find your dual parameter histograms will reflect two different colors. One being one file, and one being the other. Cool thing, you can then add varying amounts of each file to your view (10% of one histogram file and 100% of the other histogram file. It is completely user adjustable!

I typically have two files, one "reference' and one "unknown", that I want to compare. I will merge, color the "reference" red and the "unknown" blue. I can then see a little "reference" in my "unknown", and can make my assumptions.

Another cool thing, this doesn't have to be dual parameter. This can be on radar plots as well, and I have compared 8 parameter radar plots of "reference" and "unknown". It is quite powerful.

Overall, this only takes about 10-15 or so keystrokes to do the entire thing. :rolleyes:

Archived