Beckman Coulter User Forums

Barcode Types in LabelMark Software

AndreaC

I've just installed my new bar code label printer (Brady TLS PC Link) and software (by LabelMark), and one of the choices I need to make is Bar Code Type. {I have the standard (I guess) bar code readers on my Cytomats to track and record my tips and plates.}

The choices I am offered are:

Code 39

Code 39 Full ASCII

Code 93

Code 93 Full ASCII

HIBC

Interleaved 2 of 5

UPC-A

UPC-E

Data Matrix

Code 128

The ones in italics seem to give the type of bar code that looks most familiar, but I don't know if a certain type is required to be read by the reader. Any ideas here?

Thanks so much,

Andrea

UH, Houston, TX

• 1 month later...

post-30505-1298580957_thumb.jpg

Depending on what information you want to print, have a look at code 128 as well. It could have a higher density if using numeric blocks (it combines two digits into one code-character) so the code becomes shorter...

Ulrich

I've tried the five listed above in italics, and still get no read in my report. However, I inherited a few cases of Greiner 384-well plates with barcodes, and the BCR reads those just fine! A jpg of one of the successful labels is attached.

Thoughts?

After about 40 different combinations, here's what I came up with:

Code Type: Code 39

But here's what makes it work:

Density is 0.009 or higher.

Barcode works best when it is the entire height of the label (or in my case, 0.215 inches.)

I used a very short string for my barcode value, with no spaces, to make it as compact as possible (P01PW10 = Plate 1 of the Prestwick Chemical Compound Library, 1:10 dilution). Don't include text as part of the barcode (choose "none" on text location option of the barcode), but add it as a separate text box, wrapped, so that more info or spaces makes it readable to humans; I used "PL01 1:10d PW" and the date 02/25/2011 beneath, all in a nice tight font called Agency FB, font size 6, bold.

Now, not only can my barcode reader read the labels, but I can, too, as well as anyone working with me in my projects.

Ta-Da!

(I'm not seriously the first one to have to go through this, am I? Or am I the only person using custom barcode printed labels with my FX?)

Andrea,

Great to hear you got it working! Sorry that we weren't more help immediately - but I'm glad you put your settings here so that anyone else looking to do the same will have a great starting place.

The cytomat uses a 3rd party barcode reader, and we chose it because it is pretty bullet-proof. As you found from the Greiner plates, barcodes generally "just work". However, from your description, it sounds like with a low-density, the barcodes were too long for the laser to fully read. I've added this to our bug tracking database, since it should have been easier for you.

Archived